A Study of Modern Linux API Usage and Compatibility: What to Support When You’re Supporting
EuroSys'16 Best Paper
This paper supports the author's following work, graphene(-SGX).
Targeted Interfaces (APIs)
- System Calls
- Proc Filesystem
- Measured the download and dependency data of packages in Ubuntu 15.04.
- Statically analyzed what syscalls will be invoked in a package and what path will be accessed by a binary (hardcoded string)
- API Importance: A Metric for Individual APIs
- Weighted Completeness: A System-Wide Metric (combined with #downloads)
- Which syscalls are more important than others?
- Which syscalls can be deprecated? (some are rarely used)
- Which syscalls should be supported for compatibility?